Mechanic (Motor Vehicle)
This course is of 27 months (Inclusive of 3 months Industrial Training for eligible candidates) which can be extendable to 6 months
Total number of seats available for one academic session is 12
Assistant mechanics in transport workshops or PWD
Technicians in Auto based industries
Mechanics/ Technicians in Auto workshops in our settlement community
Drivers for Govt. and Private Firms
Setup their own workshop/garage.
The duration of trade is two years with four semesters of six months each. In this trade, students are taught about skills like servicing, repairing and major overheauling of motor vehicle like Scooter/Motor Cycle, Cars, Trucks and Buses; maintain all type of vehicles by work of suspension, transmission, brakes, steering work, basic electrical and electronic work; fault diagnosisis petrol/diesel engines including MPFI engine, engine fitted with point of view as it opens many careeer fields for them at various places.
The brief introduction to syllabus covered in this course.
- Basic safety precaution and PPE
- System of measurement and its conversion
- Marking scheme and material of hand & power tools
- Study of fastener
- Types of screw, nuts, studs, bolts & locking device
- Study of different types of cutting tool, drilling and Tapping
- Limit, fits & Tolerance
- Drilling Machine
- Introduction to heat treatment
- Introduction to metallic and non metallic coating
- Principles and processes of electroplating, galvanizing, vaccumizing, metal spraying, painting and their application.
- Description of simple soldering and brazing fluxes used on common joints.
- Fuses and Circuit breaker, Ballast resistor, stripping wire insulation, cable color codes and sizes Description of chemical effects of batteries & Cell
- Introduction to Hydraulics;
- Definition of Pascal law, pressure, Force, viscosity with respect to temperature mechanical Introduction to Engine – types, classification of vehicle on basis of loads, wheel, fuel etc
- Practical related to safety and health
- Practice on General workshop tools & power tools and Equipment
- Practice on General cleaning,Checking and use of nuts,bolts, studs etc
- Practice on Arc Welding, Gas Welding & resistance welding
- Diagnose Series, parallel,series- parallel circuits using Ohm’s Law
- Cleaning and topping up of lead acid battery and its testing with hydrometer
- Identification of Hydraulic and pneumatic component
- Introduction to Auto Industry and its development in India, history and leading manufacturer
- Basics of Diesel engine
- Description of basic 4 stroke diesel principles and cycle
- Compression – Ignition engine components
- Difference between:
- C.I Engine and S. I Engine
- 4 stroke and 2 stroke
- Otto cycle and diesel cycle
- Engine component description and constructional
- features of cylinder
- Cylinder head design, Types of Diesel Combustion chamber
- Importance of Turbulence
- Types of valves operating mechanism and its importance
- Description and function of different types of pistons,piston rings and pins
- Description & functioning of connecting rod
- Description and function of crank shaft
- Description and function of fly wheel and vibration damper
- Different types of cylinder sleeves (liner)
- Engine assembly procedure
- Requirement of cooling system and its properties
- Lubrication system and its need, function of oil,
- Viscosity and its grade
- Description and function of air compressor
- Description of Air Cleaner
- Description and Function of Diesel fuel injection
- Vehicle emission standards
- Types and source of emission
- Effects of Hydrocarbon
- Description of charging and starter motor circuit
- Trouble shooting causes and remedy for engine not starting due to mechanical and electrical cause
- Identification of different types of Vehicles
- Identification of parts of diesel engine
- Overhauling of cylinder head –Diesel Engine
- Removing valves and its part
- Overhauling piston andconnecting rod assembly
- Overhauling of crankshaft
- Checking of flywheel and mounting flanges
- Cleaning and checking of cylinder block
- Measuring of cylinder bore for taper & Ovality
- Removing cylinder liners from scrap
- Engine assembling
- Checking and adjusting
- Coolant and engine oil
- Fuel injection Pump –Diesel(FIP)
- Emission Control Devices
- Practice of removing Alternator and starter motor
- Practice on trouble shooting for engine not starting due to mechanical and electrical
- Clutch & Manual Transmissions- Clutches clutch principles.
- Final drive & Drive Shafts- Basic layouts.
- Automatic transmission.
- Steering system.
- Wheel alignment.
- Suspension systems.
- Wheel and Tyres
- Braking systems.
- Practice on adjusting clutch pedal play removing gearbox and clutch assembly from light & Heavy Vehicle.
- Practice on Removing open type propeller shaft from vehicle, practice on removing universal joints.
- Overhauling of steering system and Wheel alignment.
- Overhauling of suspension system.
- Overhauling of tyre and Wheel.
- Overhauling of Brake assembly.
- History and development of auto industry in India.
- Intake & exhaust system.
- Gasoline Fuel System.
- Introduction to Electronic fuel injection (EFI)
- fuel supply system.
- Identification of EFI engine management – EFI operation.
- EFI sensors.
- Ignition principles and Faraday’s laws, Primary and secondary winding of transformer.
- Description and function of Capacitor/condenser, Distributors.
- Charging system.
- Starting system.
- Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) legislation, Vehicle heating, ventilation & cooling system.
- Description and function of Fixed orifice,Control devices, Thermostatic expansion
- valve system, Thermal expansion valves, Airconditioning compressors.
- Description and function of Air bags, Seatbelt,Vehicle safety systems. Locating vehicle information, Obtaining & interpreting scan tool data.
- Identification of petrol Engine components.
- Overhauling of petrol engine.
- Overhauling of fuel pump,carburettors, fuel.
- Filter and air cleaners.
- Identification of various components of MPFI system.
- Identification of Electronic control Unit.
- Identification of various sensors
- Installed in engine & it’s mounting.
- Check and replace ignition
- Checking ignition timing, Checking & changing a spark plug, Removing & replacing contact points.
- Checking a charging system for the cause of undercharge.
- Checking testing and adjusting electrical parts.
- Air Conditioner and Heater.
- Checking a heating system.
- Carrying out a visual inspection,
- inspecting under body components.
- Driving practice.